Friday, June 22, 2012

My Future

Sorry I fell off the face of the Earth for a few days.  I was in Florida, interviewing for a Grad Assistantship position that I ended up not getting.  Needless to say, I was devastated about not getting into Grad School.  I contemplated applying to a school that I wasn't 100% sure about, just because they would still let me apply.

But then yesterday night I had a phone interview for a "Resident Supervisor" (House Mother) job at the Georgia Tech chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta.  And my chances of this job are actually pretty good.  But I will blog about that more when it becomes definite.

So, my future is very "up in the air".  I really do want to go into Student Affairs.  I would love nothing more than to be running Greek Life at a college or university.  But part of me wants to do something different in Higher Ed.

I ended up liking my History classes much more than I expected.  So much more that I decided that I might want to do a Masters in History.  I could see myself being a History professor with a teaching style similar to that of my favorite Alma professor.

I have two problems with this.

1.  I don't know if I would want to give up my passion for Student Affairs/don't know if I could teach and work in Student Affairs.
2.  I don't know what area of History I would like to "marry" throughout the duration of my Masters.

If I end up in Atlanta with the house mother position it may give me more room to explore if History is something I would want to pursue further, since none of the surrounding universities offer a Masters in Higher Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment